A major seizure left me in hospital for 3 days with no proper bath or shower and my hair all tangled, dry and a big mess.
So, to get my dry and damaged hair back on track, I reached out to my all time favourite ingredient.
Why Coconut oil?
The reason we have dry hair is because our scalp do not produce enough oil to moisturise our hair or our hair cuticle is not strong enough to hold the moisture in.
Coconut oil is rich in lauric acid (saturated fatty acids) and helps reduce protein loss. Coconut oil penetrates into our hair shaft easily than any other oil and helps to lock the moisture, thus resulting in hair growth.
I have been using coconut oil since I was small. If you have been to Goa, you will know that the state is surrounded with coconut trees, so there was no shortage of coconuts.
Why Lime juice?
Lime or Lemon juice contain citric acid which helps fight dandruff.
Lets get started with the hair mask.
- Pure Coconut oil ( you can also you coconut milk)
- Lemon/Lime ( for dry scalp / dandruff. Unfortunately, I have a dry scalp as well)
- Depending on your hair length and thickness, pour couple of table spoon of coconut oil in a bowl
- Squeeze out juice of half a lime or lemon and add to coconut oil (leave out this step if you do not have dandruff or dry scalp)
This is how it will look
- Mix both the ingredients well. Warm up the mixture for 1 minute in a microwave.
- Divide your hair into 2 or 4 sections depending on the thickness and length.
- Concentrate on the scalp and the dry and damaged ends.
- Once you finish applying the mask to your dry and damaged hair, massage your scalp for 10-15 minutes. This will help with the blood circulation. (make sure you use your finger tips and not the nails)
- Cover your hair with a plastic bag. This will help to lock the heat and moisture. Leave it for 40 minutes to one hour.
Then have shower as normal. Make sure you use lukewarm water. I am guilty of this because I like to use very hot water. That is why my hair is so dry and lifeless
You can apply this mask 2-3 times a week to help your hair get back on track.
Why not share this tip with your family and friends and help inject some life & shine in their messed up and brittle hair.